Get the Care You Need
Left untreated, it can cause tooth loss. Dr. Goehring offers treatment for gums and bone affected by periodontal disease. From scaling and root planting to surgical intervention, he can provide the care you need.
Potential Health Risks of Gum Disease
- Stroke — Periodontal disease may increase the risk of the type of stroke that is caused by blocked arteries.
- Heat Disease — Gum disease may increase the risk of clogged arteries and heart disease. It also is believed to worsen existing heart disease.
- Premature births — A woman who has gum disease during pregnancy may be more likely to deliver her baby too early. The infant may be more likely to be of low birth weight.
- Diabetes — Diabetic patients with periodontal disease may have more trouble controlling their blood sugar levels.
- Respiratory disease — Bacteria found in gum disease may cause lung infections or heighten existing lung conditions. For elderly adults in institutions such as nursing homes this can be very important. In this group, bacteria from the mouth may reach the lungs and may cause severe pneumonia.
Treatment with Dr. Goehring
When you visit for your regular hygiene appointments and exams, your hygienists can perform scaling and root planing treatment. This non-surgical procedure allows our team to remove the built-up tartar from below your gums and smooth out your tooth’s surface for a healthy smile.
This procedure is done in just one visit and the recovery is generally very quick and comfortable. Our team will always recommend post-op instructions to ensure a successful healing period.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
If you’ve noticed your gums to become more sensitive when you brush or floss, it may be a sign of gum disease. It’s best to give our Austin office a call to get in for a dental check-up before the infection spreads and affects your entire well-being. Fill out a form today to get started or call us at (512) 892-8822.
Dr. Goehring can deliver the stunning results you expect.
To schedule an appointment, call us or click below.